1801, Sharper Roberson, Manumission
- 1801, Sharper Roberson, Manumission
- Event Description
The Freeman family of Woodbridge, Middlesex County, New Jersey, manumitted two enslaved people on November 30, 1802. Sylvia Bloomfield was manumitted by Israel Freeman. Sharper Roberson (or Robertson), aged 38, was manumitted by Rheuben Freeman at the same time.
The certificate of manumission for Sharper Roberson was signed by the Overseers of the Poor of Woodbridge (Ezekiel Ayers, George Harrison) and Justices of the Peace for Middlesex County (James Bonney, Ichabod Potter) on November 30, 1801. The document stated that Sharper Roberson was examined in court and met the eligibility requirements for manumission in New Jersey, i.e. the person was 21 to 40 years old and was "sound in mind and not under any bodily incapacity" of obtaining a livelihood. This manumission certificate was recorded by the Middlesex County Clerk (William P. Deare) on June 10, 1802.
A decade later, on April 29, 1811, the Middlesex County Clerk also recorded a copy of the original deed of manumission, which had been signed by Reuben Freeman on November 30, 1801, in the presence of Ichabod Potter and Matthias Freeman.
- Event Type
- Legal: Manumission registration
- Action Status
- 30 November 1801
- Woodbridge, NJ
- Related Event
- 1801, Sylvia Bloomfield, Manumission
- Primary Participant
- Sharper Roberson (b. 1763)
- Primary Participant Description (verbatim)
- slave named Sharper Roberson
- slave named Sharper Robertson
- Freedom Status
- Enslaver of Primary Event Participant
- Reuben Freeman
- Matthias Freeman
- Middlesex County Manumissions and Removals, page 34
- Middlesex County Manumissions and Removals, page 100
- Manumission of Sharper Roberson (certificate dated 1801-11-30, deed dated 1801-11-30), recorded in Manumissions and Removals Book, p. 34 and 100. Middlesex County (N.J.) Records, 1688-1929, Vol. XI (MC 784.1). Special Collections and University Archives, Rutgers University Libraries.
- Record Contributor
- Isaac Guzmán
- Jesse Bayker
- Resource class
- Item sets